Posted on March 10, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Over the Garden Wall
Congratulations to Pat McHale, former/key Adventure Time writer and creative director, as Cartoon Network’s announcing his Over the Garden Wall miniseries will premiere this fall. The miniseries, the network’s first, will span ten parts and will feature the voices of Elijah Wood, Collin Dean, and Melanie Lynskey. Over the Garden Wall stems from Pat’s short “The Tome of the Unknown.” If it’s anything like that cartoon, it will be among the most beautiful animated shows you’ve ever seen. If we ever wanted to see a production Tumblr, it’s for this.
i don’t blacklist blood or gore cause i figure 99% of the time i can handle it but there’s that ONE PERCENT when someone posts the most unbearable, disgusting image or gif and they tag it #blood or some shit
and i just…no, please. i need a new tag. #mega-gore, maybe. or #noonewantstoseethis.Posted on March 9, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Reading through and editing/critiquing my classmate’s fiction writing the past few weeks has taught me a few basic tips of things not to do:
- Don’t use adverbs when you could describe the action in a way that indicates the same thing. Adverbs are often another way of “telling” instead of showing.
- The old “show, don’t tell” thing is actually very important. Please don’t tell me what the characters are feeling, even if the narrator is the one letting me know how he feels. That makes me feel angry!
- This might sound kind of harsh and an impossible standard to hold people to, but ask yourself why you’re writing what you’re writing. Is there a purpose? Are you going to tell me the same dang things I already knew/read? Basically, your writing should leave people thinking, especially in ways they’ve never thought before. It doesn’t mean your writing has to be 100% original, but ask if this is something that other writers have often written about, and written about better.
- It’s not an essay. Use contractions.
- It’s not an essay. Put away your thesaurus.
- It’s not an essay. Speak the way a person speaks.
- Keep track of where you are in your story. Don’t jump around or start heading down one path and then suddenly veering in another direction.
- If your story spends a long time describing the circumstances before using dialogue, the reader will feel totally disconnected.
- Is your main character the narrator (even if it’s in third person)? If so, why don’t they have a voice?? Don’t just tell me what they’re thinking.
- Are you using “and” too much? If your sentence structure ALWAYS goes something like this, “Anne (verbed) and (verbed) the (noun),” try “Anne (verbed), (verbing) the (noun).” So instead of “Anne slept and curled her thumb around the book,” try “Anne slept, her thumb curling around the book” for variety’s sake.
- Watch out for repetitive language, words, and phrases.
- You’re telling a story, but we’re not SITTING AROUND A CAMPFIRE TELLING STORIES. Don’t write your story as though you’re conveying an anecdote to your friends…
franceboye replied to your photo “I’ve not been drawing much recently and that’s bummed me out a little….”
is he single
NO, grace, i did NOT accidentally draw a guy who is your type FUCK OFFPosted on March 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM
BOYS ARE THE DUMBEST ANIMALS ON THE PLANET.Posted on March 9, 2014 at 4:24 PM
I’ve not been drawing much recently and that’s bummed me out a little. Here’s a doodle of a dude. His name is Hector Gonzalez, but he also goes by Gonzo. Sad, brain-hurt hippie synthetic human clone helping to resettle a city in the South after global warming pushed everyone north. He likes to wear skirts and even he doesn’t know that he’s not a real person.
He’s also not normally this cute.Posted on March 9, 2014 at 4:16 PM
My mom is fun, we hang and laugh about how dumb guys are. She’s like, “guys can’t tell if you dye your hair. Ever.”
And I’m like “ha, yeah, the only guys who know I’m not a natural blonde are the ones who met me before I changed the color.”
And she’s like, “no. those guys don’t know either.”
confirmed on friday. guy i’ve known since first semester freshmen year was confused when i said something about dyeing my hair.
i was like, “dude! when you met me i had brown hair.”
and he tried to smooth it over all sloppy, “uh, yeah, uh, but…maybe you had dyed it then.”
nah. i caught you boy.Posted on March 9, 2014 at 4:01 PM
i should have kept a better diary when i was younger— as much as i love my parents (and partially because of that), it’s very easy to forget all the things they used to do wrong. my mom’s changed significantly since i was a kid, and my home life used to be kind of awful.Posted on March 9, 2014 at 3:54 PM
the next international women’s day will take place on the shortest day of the year. i’m tagging and saving this for a joke 364 days from now.Posted on March 9, 2014 at 2:40 PM
i’m ready for spring break goodbye goodbye goodbyePosted on March 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM
He’s just mad because he can’t acquire all the apple juice that I’m acquiring. (x)
(via thunderousfart)Posted on March 8, 2014 at 9:57 PM
this is incredibly sweet:
in the last book, aang was upset about non-airbenders wearing traditional tattoos, as he should be. here we see one of the women who did so respectfully covering up the point of the arrow. that is so….i love her.
But what if they respect the arrow and think it’s beautiful?
read the promise. or…you know, look up anything about cultural appropriation.Posted on March 8, 2014 at 4:39 PM
when you say “not my forte” it’s pronounced fort
fuck that, manPosted on March 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM